Monday, May 14, 2012

OUR FISH HAD BABIES!

 The night before Mother's Day, Justin and I decided to put this breeding trap in our 30 gallon fish tank because our female Mickey Mouse Platy looked like she was about to have babies.  Sure enough, a few minutes after we put her in there, she started popping them out!  It was exciting.  I stayed up till about 12:30 am to watch her and then I took her out of the breeding trap so she wouldn't be able to eat very many of her babies during the night.
The breeding traps are made so that the babies can slip between the small fence-like plastic thing to be safe from their hungry mother.  I counted at least 23 babies in here before I let the mama go in the big tank with the rest of the fish.
Here is a video I took of her having 2 babies and then gobbling up 
another one that swam back up into the "danger" zone!  Poor guy! 
(While I was filming this I didn't notice her eating one of her babies afterwards!)

No comments: